Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Poverty and Justice Bible

So it would have been perfect if something had happened to me on my ride home from Bible study tonight that I could write about. But it didn't. So instead, here is a link that Mauro sent me recently.

http://www.povertyandjusticebible.org/

Which reminded me of Shane Claiborne. He spoke at my church in Atlanta last year, and he talked about one of his friends who went through a Bible with a pair of scissors, cutting out every verse that mentioned the poor, the oppressed, and the outcast. By the time he was done, the Bible was in tatters, and they used it as an illustration when talking about their faith. Of course as a symbol of how important caring for the poor is in God's eyes, a lot of people probably learned more from it afterwards than before. His book, Irresistable Revolution, is also pretty great.

1 comment:

Mauro said...

Great work Michael! Dom Toren picture seems to fit perfectly and the name... I should of known it was this idea when I saw an email from "christian" on my mailbox =) As my departure date gets inevitably closer, I think this is also a great way to keep in touch and continue growing and sharing with our "Utrechtse family" while we go to the world out there.